My dad has COVID

My dad has COVID

Postby Despanan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 am

He got it from his nurse. She got it because her family didn't take this shit seriously and had a reunion. One of the cousins was sick and got everyone else sick.

I'm beginning to think all our zombie fiction is unrealistic. In a real zombie apocalypse there would be people ignoring the zombies because they're convinced it's all a hoax.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Re: My dad has COVID

Postby Samurai » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:09 pm

Very sorry to hear about your dad. Hope it's a mild case and that he makes a swift recovery.

Trust in authority has declined markedly over the past couple of decades*. As recently as the '80s, I suspect if a government had told people it was in their and their neighbours' interests to do a thing, they'd do the thing. These days, people begin not by thinking the state has their best interests at heart, but wondering what its angle is. That can admittedly be healthy in some circumstances, but not when health itself is the issue**.
___
* For what are admittedly fairly obvious and understandable reasons
** It's true the state does get things wrong even there at times, for example the emphasis from the '70s onwards on cutting fat rather than sugar from one's diet -- but public health messaging is generally pretty benign
"The sign of a matured samurai is calmness, not skill. A samurai should therefore be neither pompous nor arrogant." ~Tsukahara Bokuden
Samurai
Deserves better

Postby Despanan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:42 am

He got better and my mom didn't get it. It seems like he was really lucky (no respiratory symptoms). He's probably gonna retire now because since his symptoms were mild to moderate he will probably lose his immunity within a few weeks.

Still, I'm pretty relieved. Thanks guys.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Samurai » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:33 pm

Glad to hear your folks are OK.
"The sign of a matured samurai is calmness, not skill. A samurai should therefore be neither pompous nor arrogant." ~Tsukahara Bokuden
Samurai
Deserves better

Postby dexeron » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 am

My dad's got it too, now. Not sure how he got it, or whether he already had it (but was asymptomatic) when I was visiting with him last weekend.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Samurai » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:53 pm

Sorry to hear that, Dex. Hope he's better soon. Are you and yours getting swabbed too?
Samurai
Deserves better

Postby dexeron » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm not getting tested myself, as a week later I still have no symptoms (I had a scratchy throat the other day, but only for one day, and that's honestly typical for me with allergies.) I'm still being extra cautious, however, and staying indoors just in case I am a carrier now. It's not like I have anywhere else to be.

No, the real concern right now isn't even my dad, who was feeling ill, but not too bad, but his girlfriend, who was just checked into the hospital today. I don't have much information right now, but it unfortunately seems to be more serious in her case, so we're all hoping everything is alright. The real problem with this illness is that we can't even go and stay with my dad so he has someone to be there while he's worrying about her, because since he's positive as well we can't risk getting infected if we aren't already.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Samurai » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:26 pm

That's a difficult situation for all of you. Hope your dad's gf shakes it off without an ICU visit and you're all OK.
Samurai
Deserves better

Postby Despanan » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:16 pm

Dad has now officially retired which was a huge weight off of all of us.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Samurai » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:23 pm

This is good news, because it give him the opportunity to keep away from people a little more easily till vaccines have been more fully distributed. My folks retired a few years back and haven't left the house since last March. How Mum has put up with Dad continuously in all that time I'll never know. :) They're getting their first dose this Saturday, though, which is excellent news.
Samurai
Deserves better

Return to General Discussion