[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Chat

Chat

Chat

Postby dexeron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:02 am

Does ClanBOB have a Discord server?

Are there even enough people left to make such a thing worthwhile?

Is IRC still a thing?
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Re: Chat

Postby Inferno » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 am

IRC's still running strong. Kevex on slashnet.
Inferno
cockBOB

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:44 am

IRC has never stopped existing. We've been on it for years. Discord might work better due to it being on phones and asynchronous mobile communications is where its at. Its also a lot more accessible to people that aren't IRC nerds and a lot of people already have it due to video games. Try starting one, dex, i'll join it.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Inferno » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:10 am

I thought the kids were on Slack these days?

Anyway, the thing about IRC is that it has a lot of staying power. Other chatting tools (AIM, MSN, ICQ, What's App, Line, etc) seem to come and go, but IRC is forever. Its biggest flaw is its synchronous nature but it's advantage is you can just idle to counteract that.

I could get behind another chat engine provided that it works on Linux. Which one of these guys works on Linux, Nick?
Inferno
cockBOB

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am

discord works in browser and I think it also has a linux build.
Personally I'm not the biggest fan of discord but I'm willing to accept its whats up these days.
I don't like it because it has no financial plan outside of hoping to be bought out later. Everything is free because they're just running of investments and aren't actually making money in any way. That and being the paranoid kind of guy I am, I really don't like how chats are archived forever. Combine the two issues and I feel like whoever buys out discord could use that maliciously somehow? I dunno. I still use it.
Slack is for the office, inferno.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby dexeron » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:01 pm

I enjoy Discord only because it's popular now, so a lot of groups I'm involved in use it (and the chat functionality makes it good for gaming and podcast recording.)

But yeah, I don't know much about it's potential longevity.

(It does have a Linux build.)
dexeron
On the internet

Postby dexeron » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm

OK, I created a Discord server if anyone's interested. I don't see it replacing IRC, but it might be useful for folks trying to coordinate gaming, which was what ClanBOB was originally about when it first started. (I like the voice chat integration and web-interface, but it also has a desktop app for both Windows and Linux, as well as a phone app.)

If there's a need to add additional channels, let me know, and I'll add them. I created a couple, like General Discussion, and a politics/money/religion one. (Politics could, of course, also go in General, but if things get too cluttery, this makes it easy to move the conversation over so uninterested folks don't get annoyed by it.)

Open to suggestions, and hopefully folks will find this useful.

https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Agent » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:01 pm

get in on this its good stuff
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Rip » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:39 pm