[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - So, I'm a Buddhist now.

So, I'm a Buddhist now.

Re: So, I'm a Buddhist now.

Postby Despanan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Despanan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:37 pm

I mean, what's funny is you perfectly illustrate what I'm talking about right here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=250

So how is my assumption about this reaction unfounded? Sam just said it was founded and you directly experienced it in a small way literally two posts down.

That right there is the only assumption I'm making. That's an example of the First Noble Truth.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Agent » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:52 am

The assumptions you make in literally every sentence of this post:

Assuming that I wanted to be offended, assuming that I was talking about inferiority, assuming that I'm a secular humanist. And, in what I guess is just a critique of the fundamental nature of your beliefs, the assumption that the manifestation of the Buddha nature is a desirable state and that happiness and the cessation of dukkha are correct or worthwhile goals.
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:07 am

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby dexeron » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:12 am

https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby dexeron » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:18 am

I think some of the teachings about dukkha are where Buddhists get it "right." This world is transitory. Nothing lasts, and trying to cling to anything can be harmful. Fearing the basic facts of how life works, refusing to accept it, coming up with self-delusions to try to stave off that fear, those are harmful. The opposite, an overly optimistic reaction (again, based on self-delusion) is likewise harmful, because it often keeps us from realistically interacting with the real world around us in a beneficial way. The answer is, of course, to look at life realistically, understand it's transitory nature, and accept it, learn not to fear it, and come to terms with that, find peace about it.

Where I think most of us differ from Buddhists is, of course, in that we don't refer to that conundrum as "dukkha." Also, we wildly disagree as to the cause of this suffering, and the way in which to address it.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Rip » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:53 am

Rip
flanelForever

Postby Despanan » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift