I'd read it

I'd read it

Postby feadog » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 pm

I love mystery books, always have, but I get tired of all the murder and quirky-ness. This pitch has been in my head all week. I have no talent for writing, so maybe if I post it here, I'll stop grumbling about established, clearly profitable tropes in other series?

The series will focus on what would be the side characters of other murder mysteries. Each book will contain a murder and a standard-fit quirky amateur detective (QAD) solving it "off screen", but the main story will revolve regular folks staying out of the QAD's way and commenting on how weird she is, while the main character solves some little mystery not involving murder or the police. The murder mystery, by contrast, can be very derivative or involve crazy overly-complicated plots. Sometimes the series will feature guest QADs (all based on popular detective tropes).

The main character and the QAD interact sometimes, so the reader will get occasional updates on how the murder mystery is going, as well as opportunities to witness the Big Reveal. Maybe there could also be a tropey sheriff/detective interacting with the QAD, and another regular person with police knowledge (eg. paramedic, 911 operator, low-level cop, records clerk) for the main character to get updates from.

I like the idea of the main character being a working musician, but it's not a deal breaker. I have this scene in my head involving the QAD hiring the MC to play background music at the dinner party where she makes the big reveal. It's a job that has odd hours, involves travel, and generally gives you an excuse to visit random places for business reasons. For example, cruise ships, busking, theater, restaurants, private parties at people's houses, any grand opening for a business, bookshops, bars, schools, churches, weddings, festivals, courthouses, hotels, conventions/meetings etc. Being self-employed can also bring in topics like accounting, webdesign, merch, banking, artwork, etc.
feadog

Re: I'd read it

Postby Zengus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:57 pm

This is a pretty neat idea. It's a spin on crime novels that I haven't seen before, anyway
Zengus
Muscle cook

Re: I'd read it

Postby cain » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 pm

then write it
cain
Drunk

Return to Throne Room