[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Final Fantasy XIV pretty but empty

Final Fantasy XIV pretty but empty

Final Fantasy XIV pretty but empty

Postby shadowmimiiru » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:19 am

I've now been logged in for 1 hour. The chat channel is dead. Utterly dead ... more proof that the mmo genre is dead and I should just rant like an old woman about the days of EQ.
shadowmimiiru
Tsundere

Re: Final Fantasy XIV pretty but empty

Postby Sorce » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:36 pm

I won't be subscribing, but I did buy the game at launch, and while there is some cool stuff, it's not nearly enough to keep me interested. So since I still have a backlog, I'd rather try and tame that than pay money for a game I'm not really interested in. If it was f2p, I'd stay with it, but we all know Squeenix won't ever do that.
Sorce
Dragonball is still cool

Postby Phantomgrift » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 pm

Wait, everything I read says that WOW is apparently still like the place to be for MMO.
Is it just the rest of the genre that died?
Waiter... Waiter?

Curses! When will I ever remember; Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restaurant.
Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby synkr0nized » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:25 pm

No

It's mostly that there's a decent sized chunk of "MMO Players" who sign up for every MMO and play it for a few weeks before abandoning it. When they get loud enough, they sometimes convince folks that a game is dead or dying. I really don't get how Mim thinks the genre is dead, though, especially when more keep coming out.

WoW might not be enjoying the numbers it had in WotLK or Cata, but it's still thriving. Eve is still going. STO is always active when I log in. GW2 has plenty of full servers still. I think SWtOR is still going well enough, though it and STO are probably hanging on mostly due to the fact that it's Star Wars and Star Trek. It was my understanding that Rift, while not enjoying the success it wanted, is still alive. There's also that SyFy one, Secret World, Marvel's heroes one, and numerous others.

And then you can consider the Korean grindfest MMOs.

I can't speak at all about FF, though. Maybe that game really is dead.
synkr0nized
Super sexy secret dreamboat

Postby shadowmimiiru » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 am

shadowmimiiru
Tsundere

Postby synkr0nized » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Ah, that's a fair point. You seem to have to search that out in specific groups, join the right guilds, etc. for it. The typical player is the "give me my loot and shut up" type anymore.
synkr0nized
Super sexy secret dreamboat

Postby dexeron » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:11 am

That's one of the things that's kept me from being able to really get into any MMOs since UO. I haven't been able to find very many with a type of play-style that fosters a sense of community, and most MMOs just aren't any fun playing single-player past a certain level. I probably got spoiled by being in such a good guild on UO back in the day. :P
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby cain » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Mithras are terrible, that's your problem
cain
Drunk

Postby shadowmimiiru » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:48 am

shadowmimiiru