[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Fiscal conservatives & libertarian economics!

Fiscal conservatives & libertarian economics!

Re: Fiscal conservatives & libertarian economics!

Postby Phantomgrift » Mon May 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Because there is nothing better than a society where everything can be had at the whim of a machine, hard work of any sort is only pursued as idle playtime or hobby, creative arts have stagnated as evidenced that no one can reference more than one person/alien prior to naming dudes from a thousand plus years in the past like Yeats, Kipling and other bygone dead guys, and the only way to stimulate the mind is to hurl yourself out into the endless void of space in what amount to highly inefficient motor vehicles.

Seriously, we've seen episodes that have proven transporter technology can beam people from place to place at light speed, humans can be downloaded onto teleporter backups, and warp engines are capable of Warp 9. The effective thing to do would be to create a tiny flying transporter that could beam some people down to a planet, explore, beam them back into data and return. Starfleet is the future of LARPERS and the SCA.

Not that it would matter anyway.
An alien race would visit earth and ponder upon the remains of billions in these electronic boxes. Because seriously- Holodeck? I can have a real universe at my fingertips without ever leaving a 10x10 room ever again? Pffft, who'd want to explore space when you could explore everything.
Waiter... Waiter?

Curses! When will I ever remember; Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restaurant.
Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 am

HisDivineShadow
Cromulent

Postby Rip » Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Speaking as Texas, I disagree. Rick Perry is also the guy who. Well. fuck, I mean, he's the guy who was Rick Perry this whole time, man.

Rip
flanelForever

Postby Phantomgrift » Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm

So HDS, how does that work in regards to it running counter to the statistics I've seen that stated the Russian and Alaskan crabbing industry were the singular most dangerous industry in the world, with more on-the-job fatalities than anywhere else on the planet?

Is Texas home to more fatalities? Or the cold and uncaring sea, Harsh and Bitter Mistress that she is?

Or is all news more or less bias to ridiculous measures in this day and age?
Waiter... Waiter?

Curses! When will I ever remember; Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restaurant.
Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby dexeron » Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm

It is the STATE with the highest number of workplace fatalities. Crab fishing might have more fatalities than any other job (or it might not, I don't know), but Texas has more fatalities TOTAL, when you combine all fatalities from all jobs.

Which might be meaningless (larger sample pool, of course there's a larger incidence), but what's being brought up here is not that Texas has more TOTAL fatalities than Alaskan crab fishing, but that Texas has more total fatalities than any other state's total fatalities. That's a cause for concern.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby HisDivineShadow » Fri May 10, 2013 4:02 pm

HisDivineShadow
Cromulent

Postby Phantomgrift » Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm

So aside from the one quip from the New York Times, is there any other source that has remotely been referenced to indicate what the actual fatality statistics are for Texas?

Shoot, I'm going off of Statistics from a National Geographic article and a Anchorage Daily News article that was written, I dunno... Summer of 96 perhaps?

I guess what I'm trying to say is what the fuck did HDS want us to take away from his post.
Because it was literally: "Here's a link to a New York Times article!"

Boy Oh Boy! News Articles! Cause those are something I seen every day!

I think I almost miss the days when all HDS did was sing the eternal praises of Obama.
Waiter... Waiter?

Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby dexeron » Fri May 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Texas has the most, but it doesn't have the highest "rate." In other words, they have the highest number of deaths in 2011, but as a proportion of their population they aren't the highest. That "honor" goes to North Dakota, at 12.4 per 100,000. However, I think you can see why that might be misleading: they have a lower overall population, so each death will "count" more. Texas FAR outstrips any of the other states in terms of raw carnage, having 433 fatalities in 2011 alone, and constantly ranking at the top in terms of total deaths. North Dakota only had 44 deaths total that year, despite having the highest "rate" of fatalities, so understand how that is misleading, and why we're using "total number of deaths" as the metric here.

http://www.aflcio.org/content/download/ ... 5-2011.pdf

Here is the full report I took that from:

http://www.aflcio.org/Issues/Job-Safety ... Job-Report
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Rip » Fri May 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Please note: in Texas, "death by rage-fueled six-shooter" is still just reported as a "workplace fatality", as Texas is a "right to work" state, and if you don't want to get shot here, you have the right to go to Oklahoma.

Rip
flanelForever

Postby Phantomgrift » Sat May 11, 2013 6:42 am

Oklahoma sucks.
Waiter... Waiter?

Phantomgrift
Despanan

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion