IE9

IE9

Postby dexeron » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Since they switched me to IE9 at work, I've been annoyed.

The Oracle-thingy we use to do our work (BANNER) has one form where you click on a button, and it displays a student's application in a web-browser window. Previously, it would pop up a new window every time, right up in front. Which made sense; I had just clicked on a button to SEE it, so obviously I'd want it to be visible to me.

Since they updated my system (and moved me to IE9), clicking that button now makes the student's application appear in a new tab on one of my already open browser windows. (We have to leave a browser open, pointed to the address where our instance of BANNER is in order for BANNER to stay open.) Ususally, I've got that minimized somewhere. So now, the student's app appears, minimized somewhere, instead of popping up conveniently in front of me.

Is there some setting or way to change IE's behavior so that the request BANNER is sending to display this information makes it toss the info up in a new window, in the foreground? It's a relatively minor annoyance, but it is frustrating always clicking, then having to go dig through all my windows to figure out where the damn thing is hiding.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Re: IE9

Postby mercan01 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Is the website an intranet site (i.e. hosted by your employer), IE9 has default behavior that drives me crazy and sometimes causes weird bugs. It loads all sites in "compatiblity mode". I'd suggest trying to turn it off to see it that helps.

From a support site I used a while back while researching an IE9 issue (you might need to right-click on a blank spot of the toolbar to enable the Tools menu):

"To change that, go to "Tools > Compatibility View Settings" and uncheck "Display intranet sites in Compatibility View". Internet sites, except those added to the "Websiteslist you've added to Compatibility View" are by default in non-compatibility view."
mercan01
zen lame

Return to General Discussion