[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - The Revolution: Part 2

The Revolution: Part 2

Re: The Revolution: Part 2

Postby dexeron » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm

HEY DERSP.

Not linking out of agreement, but linking out of: "Hey, Desp will appreciate this, even if it's only in a 'That's total bullshit' kind of way."

http://politicartoons.livejournal.com/3711952.html
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Despanan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Actually that's apt - though of course it displays a distinct misunderstanding of both anarchism and American Libertarianism.

I'm inclined to let that slide though, as it's clearly a rhetorical point - and there's some general truth to it.

American Libertarians, or "Propertarians" (as I've taken to calling them, because when it comes down to it, when they talk about "Liberty" they really mean "Private Property") have their roots in Liberalism & Austrian School economics. Anarchism arose specifically as a challenge to Liberalism, so they're two completely different schools of thought, but they end up sounding confusingly similar because folks like Murray Rothbard misappropriated anarchist language and rhetoric to SUPPORT his particularly brutal & reactionary version of Liberalism.

But on it's face, yeah, Libertarianism is Anarchy for rich people.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby HisDivineShadow » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Just found this interesting little chestnut. You guys know how a lot of Republicans keep clamoring that "The Democrats are the REAL racists! They're the ones who fought so long and hard against civil rights for blacks!"? Well let's always remember why:

"From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats."

~Kevin Phillips, Nixon's political strategist
HisDivineShadow
Cromulent

Postby Zengus » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Is that from Letters of Note? I believe I have seen it before

I have long considered Clinton, Reagan, and Nixon's campaigns to have been some of the most damaging to the US, just because of how their strategies affected the way politics are done.
Zengus
Muscle cook

Postby Phantomgrift » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 am

Isn't it a proven point of history that all politicians in general have sucked across the board since, well, the dawn of civilization?
Waiter... Waiter?

Curses! When will I ever remember; Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restaurant.
Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby dexeron » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:27 am

No.
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Phantomgrift » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Sure it has... I just think you didn't like "Angry History 101" much when you were in high school.
Waiter... Waiter?

Curses! When will I ever remember; Order dessert first and THEN kill everyone in the restaurant.
Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby dexeron » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Marcus Tullius Cicero and Robert Ingersoll spring to mind as easy counter-examples.
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Phantomgrift » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:44 pm

You mean the guy who liked to talk a lot, was exiled and suffered from depression after things didn't go his way?
And the Civil War chappie renowned for, among other things, successfully defending a known con-artist and Land Baron of the time?

Sorry, this is me being cheeky and smart-alecy in general. Continuing to stand by a general notion that the greater majority of politicians are for lack of a better term, resoundingly "meh".

Unless you are viewing them through some sort of uplifting filter wherein you hold the orators of yester-year to a different light than those of today.

Or I'm just trying to stay awake on my return to night-shift when I'd like nothing more to do than fall asleep at my keyboard.
Waiter... Waiter?

Phantomgrift
Despanan

Postby Despanan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion