[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Someone help me with philosophy

Someone help me with philosophy

Someone help me with philosophy

Postby Agent » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:05 pm

All these things I'm looking up are obsessed with happiness. I can't figure out which one doesn't care about happiness.
Agent
Get out of here

Re: Someone help me with philosophy

Postby dexeron » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:30 am

Happiness is awesome, and any philosophy that doesn't actively pursue it is a waste of time.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Rip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Happiness is what staves off self-annihilation. Humanity needs happiness in the face of crushing nihilism, and every philosophy that has ever been thought up has been an attempt to codify and trap it. If you want philosophy that has nothing to do with happiness, just, like, read Lovecraft I guess?

Rip
flanelForever

Postby Agent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:53 pm

Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Why do you feel happiness is unimportant?
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Despanan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby dexeron » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:11 pm

dexeron
On the internet

Postby Agent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Agent
Get out of here

Postby dexeron » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:35 pm

You were talking about philosophies. In my view, a philosophy (to really badly oversimplify) is something on which you try to base your actions on, but understanding that, it doesn't always means we're all day/every day checking everything we do against a list (I mean, sure, some people do that, but seriously?)

But see, you're describing states (love, anger, melancholy, wistfulness) that certainly influence behavior, but those aren't philosophies in themselves. They're all just variables, stimuli, subsets. So, say I get angry: I might act out in anger in a way that might negatively affect my happiness down the road... but I try not to do that. That's the point. My philosophy is to act in certain ways that increase my happiness (and for me those "ways" - and even ideas of what "happiness" looks like - might be very different than your own) but I'm also not a robot, so sometimes I'll act contrary to that, but part of my personal philosophy of happiness is to also not beat myself up over that. It's just life. We grow, and we learn, and (for me at least) we attempt to make ourselves ever more into the image of what it is we think we ought to be.

But that's MY philosophy of how to be more happy, and MY opinion that any philosophy worth following is one that values happiness highly. You are welcome to disagree with my analysis. You're welcome to follow a completely different path leading to a completely different definition of happiness. You're even welcome to just disagree entirely and follow something entirely different - or to choose not to follow anything at all!

...though whatever it is you do, ultimately, if you're going to do anything, no matter what it may be, it's probably because you want to, or, in other words, it makes you in at least some small way, "happy."

:D
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Agent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:40 pm

Well I'm just wondering if other philosophies have names or even exist. They all seem to just be "I think this is what the world is like and this is how you can be happy in that world" which isn't particularly interesting.
Agent
Get out of here

Next

Return to General Discussion