[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Someone help me with philosophy

Someone help me with philosophy

Re: Someone help me with philosophy

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:58 pm

Last edited by Despanan on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby dexeron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:08 pm

See this is where we get hung up again on esoteric religious terminology for mundane things. You just basically said "I've been ecstatically happy at times, but if I was constantly in that state, it would suck." Why do you need to paste on terms like "Heaven Realm" to that?

No one is arguing with your point. in fact, the second video I linked addresses that very point. A life without end, a delicious cake that can never be finished, would quickly cease to be a pleasure.

But there is no such thing. As you said, you cannot remain in the "Heaven Realm." It is literally, physiologically impossible for a nomal person to just remain constantly ecstatically happy.

The "Heaven Realm" does not exist, because it's just a fancy way of saying "a state of happiness," but adding on a caveat against an already impossible condition of permanent happiness. Which is just plainly absurd, and seems, again, to be best explained by fearful people reacting to the question of how suffering can exist in a just universe by refusing to admit that the universe is simply not just, and instead deciding that suffering is somehow virtuous by way of cautioning against a permanent lack of suffering (again, a state that has never existed.) It is archaic and primitive rationalization in the face of a terrifying universe, instead of a mature coming-to-terms with the true nature of things.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Rip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 pm

Rip
flanelForever

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for the video's Dex. While I don't disagree with anything in them per se, they seem to me to be a bit basic and joyless. Like I'm a humanist but the kind of humanism Fry is pushing is exactly the kind of humanism I rejected in the favor of Buddhist Humanism.

He's not wrong on any points, he's just well limited I guess is the word and I think he has a cartoonish view of religion and faith, but to be fair so do many religious people.

I suppose my issue with it is the sheer mundanity of this type of philosophy. It's looking at things in a way that is technically correct but also, just UUuuuugggggghhhh! Like why would you want to look at it that way?

I suppose it works for someone who is trying to break away from Christianity and find something more grounded - but there is such a thing as being too grounded. Explaining the world in the way Fry does in those feels to me like someone explaining a joke to you in excruciating detail, or trying to scientifically explain humor. You can do it, and you can be right but then it's not funny.

So it's like this neutered dead-frog-on-a-table kind of philosophy...but that may just be me.
Last edited by Despanan on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:23 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Rip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:48 pm

hashtag humanityproblems.

Srsly, only humans are this blessed/cursed to be able to stand back, look at the ridiculous miracle of chaos, perceive the whole, and think "man, this is just too boring. Better jazz it up with some words!"

I don't need fancy obfuscating spirit dummy words to appreciate life, but clearly, some people don't think life is as amazing without it. Some Agents are even privileged enough to look at the summation of human attempts to garner meaning from the void and think "but it's too bland", and that's groovy, because it's a uniquely human problopportunity to have! And it results in some damn fine fiction.

Fiction being the keyword, tho.

At this point, I find it impossible to not begin to pity Desp, and I really don't want to do that. Doesn't make me "happy" knowing he's out there, needing fancy words to get meaning out of life. But that's a pitfall of my own humanity: thinking that a different human might be better off (happier!) with the things that make ME happy...but thinking that direction causes one to make 30 page threads and then hardly anyone is happy at all.

I think Agent needs to devise a philosophy based on something other than contentment. I want to see what that looks like coming out of a brain that isn't mine.

Rip
flanelForever

Postby dexeron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm

https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Last edited by Despanan on Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Last edited by Despanan on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Agent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:50 pm

Man you guys want me to learn something and then apply that knowledge? That's asking a lot.
Agent
Get out of here

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion