[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Someone help me with philosophy

Someone help me with philosophy

Re: Someone help me with philosophy

Postby Rip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:44 pm

Rip
flanelForever

Postby Agent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:48 pm

Say you believed in an eternal over-self perpetuated by uninterrupted karmic patterns (which I do not). Could humanity as a whole ever be content? Would such a universe, influenced by but ultimately unconcerned with the actions of individual humans in the long run, actually have any needs or wants to be met? If contentment were completely taken out of the equation what is left?
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Agent » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Agent
Get out of here

Postby Agent » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:17 am

It kind of devalues happiness, you know? If you reduce happiness to a state of goal-achieving then philosophy is just a way to trick you into thinking you've accomplished something without actually doing anything.
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:16 am

It's not just about goal-achieving though. That's just one component. Happiness is complex and there are multiple types of it. Oftentimes the things we think will make us happy won't and vice versa.

There was this one story I remember, where a guy dies and he finds himself in heaven. Saint Peter welcomes him and says "Welcome to heaven, you can now have whatever you want" - suddenly the guy has every single desire he could possibly have fulfilled instantly.

Dude is happy at first but gradually as his desires are fulfilled he realizes that they mean nothing without the corresponding struggle. They are also meaningless if he gets everything he wants.

So he turns to St. Peter and is like "WTF I thought this was heaven?" and St. Peter's like: "NOPE CHUMP! This is hell and I'm actually the Devil. Punk'd!"

Well that's what the devil SHOULD have said anyway.

So I suppose the question might be, what do you value Agent? What sort of things do you think are important, or would you like to think are important? That might help point the way to a specific school and branch of philosophy that might fit you.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:53 am

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Despanan » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby dexeron » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:29 pm