[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - So, I'm done with the Buddhist thread now

So, I'm done with the Buddhist thread now

Re: So, I'm done with the Buddhist thread now

Postby Agent » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:28 am

What does the last one mean?
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:04 pm

I think it's referring to when people let scripture do their thinking for them.

EDIT: Yeah, that dictum comes out of his criticism of the Vinaya school of Buddhism, who's emphasis was on following a very strict code of monastic conduct all the time.

A modern western equivalent might be someone who makes their version of Christianity about following all the rules outlined in the bible to a "T".

The other three in order are criticism of:

1) The Pure Land School, for teaching that people were too meager to attain enlightenment in this lifetime and had to beg Amida Buddha to save them so they'd be reborn in the buddha's "Pure Land". Pretty much the Buddhist equivalent of "Accept Jesus as your personal savior so you can go to heaven".

2) The Zen School, which encouraged their practitioners to cut themselves off from the world and other people and try to attain enlightenment via navel-gazing seated meditation.

3) The Sacred Word School, which focused on showy esoteric rituals that were supposed to magically bring fortune to their followers and the nation. A modern version might be occultists who think magic is real and can be used for fun and profit.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby dexeron » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:52 pm

A modern version of 3 might also be the so-called "prosperity gospel."
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Despanan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Yep. exactly.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Agent » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:35 pm

Would that count if magic was real?
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:22 pm

If it was real, it wouldn't be Occult.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Agent » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Would you still be a buddhist if you could do magic?
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Despanan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Despanan
Phantomgrift

Previous

Return to General Discussion