[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - So, I'm a Buddhist now.

So, I'm a Buddhist now.

So, I'm a Buddhist now.

Postby Despanan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm

Or again I guess - though now I'm actually a practicing Buddhist who belongs to an actual Buddhist organization and does Buddhist-y things, as opposed to a kid who read some books by the Dalai Llama and used them to troll evangelical Christians.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Re: So, I'm a Buddhist now.

Postby dexeron » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:14 am

Wasn't someone else a Buddhist here? Like... Mentat, or Mercan, or someone?
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Rip » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:40 am

it was Mercan. He came out as Buddhist, and eventually I made him admit that I'm an Enlightened Being, which was pretty zen of him.

I'm still Zoroastrian, if anyone was wonderin <3

Rip
flanelForever

Postby dexeron » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:04 pm

That's what I thought, but I couldn't remember for sure.

I just went to Mercan's wedding on Saturday. It was pretty badass.
https://linktr.ee/adddragon
I also run the 2nd best ClanBOB Discord at: https://discord.gg/Ks5cz6r
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Zengus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Was it a Buddhist wedding? I don't actually have any idea what those are like.

Desp, whatever floats your boat tranquilly through the cosmic rivers of enlightenment. We're all just looking for some peace of mind, at the end of the day.
Zengus
Muscle cook

Postby Despanan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 am

It's been a really interesting journey. I was on a Catskills retreat with my sect (Sokka Gakkai International which is a Nichrien Lay-Buddhist organization that originated in Japan in the 1930's). We did canoe races, capture the flag, and sumo wrestling, then did some chanting in the woods and at the end they did a song complete with choreography that was, I swear to god - straight out of an anime or something.

Also, I asked them if I'd joined a cult.

All in all, very positive. It's really interesting being part of a "new" religion - there are pretty much zero supernatural beliefs, and their whole approach to Buddhism is very practical and materialist. Their philosophy really jives with the anarchist in me (no priests, no temples, no one is spiritually better than anyone else, heavy anti-militaristic and anti-nuclear weapons etc.)

Which is good because it helps me to actually have faith without believing ridiculous stories about magic people.

There's a bit of a cult of personality around their current president Daisaku Ikeda, which is weird to me, but he seems like a decent guy who's honestly done some exceptional things, and also I think it may just be a Japanese thing.

Overall what I really like is the practice centers around transcendental meditation where you chant the title of the lotus sutra: Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo to the Gohonzon, which is a special Buddhist mandala created by Nichiren Diashonin in the 13th century. Can't entirely explain it, but it is amazing for handling depression, stress and anxiety.

Overall, really fucking cool to be a part of a religion that I actually believe in, rather than pretending (as I did for many years as a Catholic) where the primary religious practice is kinesthetic rather than dogmatic. Also really nice to go to a religious service where they embrace gay and trans people and celebrate differences rather than trying to make everyone conform.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Nick » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Lotus sutra is a hack.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Samurai » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:53 pm

"The sign of a matured samurai is calmness, not skill. A samurai should therefore be neither pompous nor arrogant." ~Tsukahara Bokuden
Samurai
Deserves better

Postby Despanan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:29 pm

It wasn't that they said "no" but how they said "no" that gave me my answer.
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby Rip » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:53 pm

yep, definitely cult

Rip
flanelForever

Next

Return to General Discussion