[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
cbforever • View topic - Susan Howell's Practical Celstial Navigation

Susan Howell's Practical Celstial Navigation

Susan Howell's Practical Celstial Navigation

Postby feadog » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

I saw this workbook today and thought, "Awesome! This is exactly what I need for the glove compartment of my dirigible, for when I cruise the heavens solving groovy mysteries involving sky deities!" Then I saw that the charts in the index were all from 1976 and was bummed.
feadog

Re: Susan Howell's Practical Celstial Navigation

Postby Zengus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:03 am

I have a cook book called "Cooking with Meat," or something similar, from the sixties. It is filled with faded pictures of unappealingly plated dishes with ingredients lists using terminologies I had never heard before reading that book. Funny thing is all the recipes in it are totally amazing, it just... doesn't stand up to today's marketing standards.

Old out of print books are basically the best.
Zengus
Muscle cook

Postby feadog » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 pm

No kidding. Old recipe books/magazines fair better at the library when there's no pictures at all than with gray-scale or dated pictures. They certainly check out more often.
feadog

Postby Ventilator » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:12 pm

I read in high school.

It was a skills book from 1981 that had better outdoors and craftsmanship stuff in it than the boy scout handbook. I would actually recommend it to anyone looking to live off the grid. It even had a section on how to home brew beer.
Ventilator
Pretty cool

Postby Zengus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:57 pm

While we're on the subject, Dale Carnegie's (sp?) How to Win Friends and Influence People is a book that deserves for me to go to the effort of underlining it, and one that I personally believe every person should read at least once. Published in 1945 and still quite relevant, the title is somewhat misleading (it's more about how to not be a douchebag).
Zengus
Muscle cook

Postby feadog » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:09 pm

I've always been fond of "Live Alone and Like it" by Marjorie Hillis, an editor at Vogue. It contains practical advice for working women moving to New York City, including cocktail recipes, using sick leave as vacation days, how many bed jackets is too many, and keeping your sex life discrete. I think there was a reprint a few years ago, but I first read it as the 1936 version.
feadog

Postby Esunasoul » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:37 am

I listened to How to Win Friends as an audiobook. Essential.
Esunasoul

Return to General Discussion