Days like this I wonder what Phant and Steltek are up to

Re: Days like this I wonder what Phant and Steltek are up to

Postby Despanan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:49 pm

She seems to get it and the warnings of eventual failure of welfare states

Welfare states are successful, so much as they prevent the poor from rising up against the rich and taking what's theirs by providing a baseline of essential services that mostly keep the have-nots from turning to crime for survival. It is the failure of those welfare states to provide enough to keep consumers consuming and not say, selling prescription opiods on the black market.

I mean take SNAP for instance - as much as the republicans love to complain about food stamps and similar services, where does that money end up? Not in the hands of the people who receive those benefits - it winds up in the pockets of wealth capitalists who own foodstores. It goes into the pockets of Walmart, and Kmart and Save-a-Lot.

It is an extremely low-cost security measure that costs a fraction compared to armed guards and gated communities but the fucking idiots can't connect the dots and confuse basic political stability to unnecessary and wrongheaded kindness. Same thing with Welfare - the poor don't keep that money, they use it to pay their rent and the money goes into the pockets of landlords.

Heinlein

https://libcom.org/library/starship-sto ... l-moorcock
Despanan
Phantomgrift

Postby shadowmimiiru » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 pm

I am well aware of Heinlein's beliefs towards Military Oligarchy, Desp.
shadowmimiiru
Tsundere

Postby Rip » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:44 am

Uh. Perhaps shockingly enough, my plan so far is to start with the Hobbit, and superhero fiction. I might go as far as gender swapping the entirety of the Lord of the Rings for their bedtime stories, as it'll be twin daughters, and I think it'll be funny to have Sir Eowyn say "I am no woman."
Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven.
Rip
flanelForever

Postby dexeron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Rip wrote:Uh. Perhaps shockingly enough, my plan so far is to start with the Hobbit, and superhero fiction. I might go as far as gender swapping the entirety of the Lord of the Rings for their bedtime stories, as it'll be twin daughters, and I think it'll be funny to have Sir Eowyn say "I am no woman."

Naw, if you leave Eowyn as a woman, she gets to be utterly badass, and have much more badass lines than she ever has in the film, especially the part they left out where she calls out Aragorn for being a complete prat.

Aragorn wrote:Hey lady, you can't come with me on the Paths of the Dead cause hey as a high lady it's your place to totally take care of your uncle's hall. I mean, I wouldn't say that to Eomer or any other dude, but hey, taking care of halls is totally honorable and badass in its own way. I mean, maybe not as badass as murdering people with sharp swords, but still really important, kind of. In a sort of "well someone has to do it" kind of way.

Eowyn wrote:All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

And then she goes and kicks ass and faces the freaking Witch King of Agmar.

“Begone, foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!”

A cold voice answered: ‘Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.”

A sword rang as it was drawn. “Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.”

“Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!”

Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel.

“But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.”

And then she is so badass that even though she was just threatened with torture and mind-rape, she stands up to the dude and (with Merry's help) vanquishes him so utterly that she literally almost dies from being so badass. And yeah, she then has to miss out on the rest of the battle, but at least she doesn't get chased by a gross tumor-orc and have to have Aragorn save her.
dexeron
On the internet

Postby Agent » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:27 pm

hi just popping in to remind you that I think being a conservative is the moral equivalent of beating a homeless woman to death with a golf trophy
Agent
Get out of here

Postby Rip » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:37 am

I'm pretty sure Agent is a Russian bot now.

Despanan probably is too.

Phant definitely is and always has been.

Dexeron seems like the perfect cover for them too.

Even poor loyal Sam..??!?!

...let's face it, the education system has failed America and the internet belongs to the tzars now.
Rip
flanelForever

Postby Samurai » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:00 pm

"Tsars" is a better transliteration. I know a tiny bit of Russian. ;)
~Samurai

"The sign of a matured samurai is calmness, not skill. A samurai should therefore be neither pompous nor arrogant." ~Tsukahara Bokuden
Samurai
Deserves better

Postby Rip » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:58 pm

you just blundered facefirst into that classic tzarist trap, comrade

it's always the ones you least suspect >:
Rip
flanelForever

Postby Agent » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:43 pm

shouldn't you be off chiding leftists for acknowledging the president's son exists
Agent
Get out of here

Previous

Return to The Moat